Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mad as hell.

Many women seem to feel sexist elements in the media stole this presidential election from them. These women feel wronged and want to send a message. They want to loudly and clearly say, “That’s not OK!” This movement is growing more and more passionately anti-Obama. They are calling for voting McCain into the White House, despite his anti-feminist stances, in an effort to punish the media.

I understand these women wanting to harness their passion and make their voices heard. They need and they should have their American Rhetoric “I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” moment. I don’t dare challenge their rights or their passion. I will suggest focusing on effectiveness. Throwing open the windows and screaming in American Rhetoric provided that gestalt release but then everyone went back to their living rooms with their toaster, their T.V.s and their steel belted radial tires. So what! That scream felt good but it didn’t outlast a bowl of cookie dough ice cream.

Voting against Obama may provide a modern day gestalt “Mad as Hell” moment in the voting booth but that scream will never be heard. How sad is it when their righteous indignation won’t be heard by the sexist media and elects someone who wishes to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Their voices can be heard. Those who wronged women can be punished. They can boycott any and all programs, channels, papers, etc. who acted with sexism. They can email the advertisers and tell the companies they will boycott their products as long as they are on such sexist channels. This will take money from the media. This will punish those who were wrong. This will focus their rage into effectiveness.

In November, vote as your conscious guides but do not let sending a message elect someone who will remove your rights to your own body.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Hillary supporter who once thought highly of Obama, I am choosing to say "NO MORE" to this lack of respect.

I've pretty much convinced myself that I can't vote McCain but that doesn't mean I have to vote Obama either.

I'm a lifelong Democrat who has contributed to a number of candidates over the years. BO gets none of my money.

I am thoroughly disgusted with BO's lack of substantive ideas and his overabundance of mysogyny...to say nothing of his ambiguity when it comes to race relations. So much so that I'm willing to suck it up and live through 4 more years of Republicans. I lived through 8 years of Bush in New York City. I can live through just about anything.

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

ithought: I've never been a Clinton fan, either of them, but I can see the attraction to Hillary on both strength and issue standpoint. I did respect McCain before I got to know his policies better. He is for more supreme court justices like Samuel Alito, who turn religious conservatism into law. While McCain would only be president for 4 to 8 years, his appointments to the court are for life. On the behalf of my two young daughters, I can not support McCain. Not voting for Obama, is a vote for McCain.

I do respect your opinion although my Y chromosome may be putting some blinders on me. When was Obama more disrespectful to Hillary than Hillary was to him?

Anonymous said...

What the hell is wrong with you feminists? Why are you so DAMN racist? What did Obama do to you? Nothing. You should all be ashamed of yourselfs! Did you listen to Obama's speech? He praised Sen Clinton, and show tremendous respect for her,yet she still refuses to commend him for winning the nomination? Your accustions of "sexism" are totally inexcuseable. You hide behind your blatant racism, and refuse to show respect to us blacks who have our moment in history.

You all owe us an apology. Leave Barack alone, stop call him a sexist because he's black!